The Christensen Chronicles

Thursday, February 23, 2012

2 steps forward...

...1 Step back :(

we are 5 days out from Jordan's surgery and today started our marathon of appointments, we have 1 almost everyday until surgery.  Today was a regular cardiology appointment where I was really looking forward to them telling me, "Jordan's 12 lbs! Good job mom!". Nope. Poor thing LOST 4 ounces in the past 2 weeks, dammit! Shorty is now down to 11 lbs 1 oz, that's below the 5th percentile which if she wasn't having her surgery next week would put her in the category of Failure to Thrive. She has not been diagnosed with that, she just meets the criteria.
Jordan's regular cardiologist is out of town so we had to see an associate, I wasn't a fan. She told me Jordan can only have breast milk/formula bottles (we call them her protein shakes) and that I shouldn't nurse her anymore, at all. Screw that! I completely understand that she needs more calories which is what she gets through her protein shakes and I have no issue giving her the bottles throughout the day, but as for right before bed and in the middle of the night I WILL nurse her. I couldn't believe a female doctor was telling me to not nurse my 4 month old baby especially when her regular male doctor said I can absolutely do so.  Unbelievable.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Lindsey,
    I spoke to your fatherin law over the weekend. We also have a heart "baby". She is two now and doing fantastic. I know this is a hard time for you but you will make it through. If you have any questione or would like to chat to someone who has been there feel free to contact me bretonridenour@yahoo.com. Your family will be in our thoughts and prayers these next few days!

    ReplyDelete